Saturday, April 23, 2011

Near the End of the 50 Days and Best Smelling Strawberries Ever

Updates: I grew micro-greens which is primarily a salad topping. It adds a peppery kick and I've been growing and eating it pretty steadily. It takes less than a week to grow and pick but you have to grow a lot. It's definitely a kitchen counter plant where you can grow lots of it and constantly with little care. The mescluns are the same, grows almost as quickly as the micro-greens and I've been eating them. The squash unfortunately I've killed due to thoughtlessness. The radishes are still growing.

 



Fresh and Locally Grown in the Middle of the City Strawberries!

I went to a farm stand today. This farm is actually in the middle of a city, right next to a busy shopping plaza, Armstrong Garden Center, a Lexus Dealership and the Torrance airport. But it's actually been at this location for close to 70 years! And the strawberries they grow and sell there...SO incredibly delicious and juicy. It's fragrant and not that tart. I really wish you could smell them. During other seasons they also sell tomatoes, flowers, corn, etc.
I got three baskets of the "big" strawberries for $13. It's so good, freshly picked and grown locally.  I think my next plants are going to be strawberries and I hope they taste half as good as these. 


No comments:

Post a Comment