Sunday, February 27, 2011

The day before the beginning

This is to document my attempt at growing food plus random musings and hopefully some recipes that one of you might enjoy. I will begin tomorrow. The blog is titled 50 Days of Growing Food, a play on the title of the film, 500 Days of Summer. It is my hope that I can successfully experience 50 days of growing food. I will post photos of my progress.

The kink in the faithful documentation is that I'm leaving March 5th until March 17th to India. During which time I will leave my small "greenhouse" to the care of my grandfather. The "greenhouse" was purchased at Target at the pre-sale price of 6.99. If you want to try to grow your own lettuce go out to Target and buy their mini green-house where you just water the dried peat and drop some seeds in. It's on sale for $6. Seed packets 0.99 to 1.89.

Background info on the project:
1) Class project
2) Ostensibly on the issue of food security, urban green space, sustainable food supply
3) Control of food easily and quickly grown at home (vegetables).
4) Concerns of poverty, rapid urban development and accessibility to fresh produce

Quick Points of Interest
  • Tunisia's revolution is called the Jasmine Revolution and it began when a cop slapped a computer science graduate turned fruit/veggie vendor
  • India is experiencing record highs of inflation on the price of food; a projected 19%
  • Corn stock recently experienced hefty purchases by the Mexican gov't in case of shortage
  • 9.2 billion people by 2050 --current population 6.9 billion--  living mostly in urban areas
  • Food supply affected by climate change, mass farming techniques (quality issues may become more an issue)
  • US wastes an estimated 30% of food each year (portion sizes). See UNEP & FAO
  • 16.7 children in the US are hungry (1 in 4). See End Hunger Network.

_________
Check out March issue of Martha Stewart Living which is entirely devoted to growing your own garden or really, urban farm.

Check out IFAD.org whose tagline is "enabling poor rural people to overcome poverty." Current front page story is titled "Feeding future generations: young rural people today – prosperous, productive farmers tomorrow".







3 comments:

  1. I think this is a great idea. I have started to garden with my dad in our backyard recently as a way to get myself outside. I bought an "Earth Box" from our local farmers' market and planted organic lettuce in organic soils. Getting outside and harvesting our fruits is so much fun, and then preparing food for the family with these fresh, succulent foods is amazing. I think the greenhouse idea is great! I'm thinking of getting a greenhouse now :))

    It will be interesting to see how well our plants do, and how far they can go- especially for people not living on farms.

    I would love to hear how your plants fair in the greenhouse, and any tips you may have!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a great idea! You've got my complete support. I definitely think you have the ability to start a grassroots movement. Issues surrounding food is fortunately getting on the national radar right now, and I think many people are wondering what they can do to fight back against the multi-national corporations taking over the food industry, and this is a great way to start. I think I can learn some tips for your blog - I've always wanted to grow my own food and this will be a great guide to get started! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete