Monday, February 28, 2011

Day 1: Getting Acquainted

Setting up the greenhouse was easy enough. My concern is that I may have added too many seeds per pellet...I might go back and take some out. I made a mistake with the mesclun seeds as I thoughtlessly forgot the seeds would probably be very small and a LOT poured out onto one pellet.

The portable greenhouse
The steps:

  • Add warm water to the pellets. They will immediately begin to expand in size. 

  • Add seeds. A sheet is provided to help you remember what was planted where 

  • Place the provided lid over the tray. It will fog up slowly. And then leave it alone until you see a tiny seedling. 


The Seeds                                             
The seeds I used are saffron yellow squash, mesclun greens (including argula), micro-greens and radish. I chose them for the time it takes for them to grow and hopefully harvest. I wanted to grow lettuce, but I don't think the results would be satisfying enough within the 50 days time frame (same goes for spinach). Although I could still make a salad with the greens I've chosen. 


Squash
Harvest time: 50-55 days. (I really hope so!)
*Light: Full sun (greenhouse takes care of this)
-Seedlings should show within 10-14 days. I hope the harvest time includes the germination period.



Mesclun
Harvest time: 30 days        
Light: Full sun
-Seedlings emerge in 10-14 days same as squash.
Radish                                               Micro-greens
Harvest time: 29 days                        Harvest time: 10-15 days
Light: Full sun                                   Light: Full sun
-Seedlings emerge in 4-6 days!         -Seedlings emerge in 5-7 days

*I made a note of the light requirements. All the seeds I chose require the same amount of light which makes it easier despite my using a greenhouse, and preferably like to be sowed/planted early Spring.

Remember the same greenhouse which is biodegradable and of very convenient size can be purchased at Target for $6 at the moment. Similar greenhouses can also be found at Home Depot, OSH centers and Amazon.com and other garden centers.

Thanks for visiting. I will post a recipe immediately following this.

No comments:

Post a Comment